Saturday, February 18, 2012

As I said in yesterday's post, I would like to start sharing some of the information I am learning about the cancer experience. Much of it is from books that I am reading, people that I am meeting, and my good friend Wisconsin public radio. But, the most important insight that I have gained is from simply being blessed to be a daughter to my Mom.

Mom says that in life, there are no guarantees. Sometimes that truth announces itself with a small set-back, like when the show to your favorite performer is sold out or when the person in front of you in line takes the last chocolate cupcake. Other times, the truth hits harder with the loss of a job or when a relationship turns sour. Everyday we look out into the great abyss not knowing what the future holds. Sometimes we get a glimpse. But, more often than not, we really have no idea how things will turn out. In fact, nothing ever turns out exactly as we think it might.

When I first learned of this cancer inside my mom, I feared the worst. I was so afraid that she was going to be labeled with an expiration date. And that would be that. But, in reality, our experience has not been that. We have been given the gift of hope. Granted, hope is not a guarantee that things will go the way that we want them to. But, it is what we need to get through the day. Most importantly, it allows us to keeping living life in the deepest, most meaningful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment