Tuesday, March 13, 2012

When my mom was first diagnosed with cancer, she said something that I will remember forever. It was the most painful thing in the world for me to hear. But, it was also one of the most important things she could ever tell me. She whispered through her tears, "I just want a little more time."

I have repeated her words over and over in my head, countless times. "I just want a little more time." And every time I hear it, my eyes well up with tears. In 40 years, I have never heard my mom want anything for herself. I am sure that she has. We all do, right? But, one thing is certain -- the vast majority of my Mom's life has been devoted to others. Me, my brothers, my dad, her grandchildren, her family, her students, her friends -- the list goes on.

And while those words were so incredibly difficult for me to hear, they were also the greatest gift. So pure. So rare. And, given to me. And now, to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment