Saturday, March 3, 2012

Today I would like to share with you a little miracle that came my way.


I was feeling very sad and scared this morning. I know that most of my posts are positive. And most of the time I am positive. But I would not be truthful if I didn't say that I also have moments where I feel fear, sadness, and at times, the worst grief I have ever known.


I am not a religious person. I am also not an atheist. I suppose I could be considered an agnostic. But, it really doesn't matter. One thing is certain. I carry with me a sense of spirituality that I believe ties every human being together, regardless of their specific faith. Some people go to church. Some go to synagogue. And still others journey great lengths on pilgrimages to be closest to their faith. For me, when I want to be in touch with that force, I go into nature.

There is a special spot in a clearing in the woods not far from my home. It is a short car trip and about a 30 minute hike. I have walked this path many times before. However, it is only within the last year that I found this patch of earth to offer something so unique that I have no other way to describe it than as being completely surreal. Regardless of my state of mind or the weather, whenever I enter this space I feel an overwhelming sense of peace and well being. I could take you there. But, it may not speak to you. Every person who seeks spirituality in nature must find her own place. It is easy to do. You just have to let it find you.

Today, the journey was especially challenging. We received a fair amount of snow mixed with rain overnight.
And, crossing the fields the wind whipped so strong that it stung my cheeks. My little dogs accompanied me. They always do. And because nobody else was out this morning, I decided to let them run free.



Sometimes when I go here, I don't have a specific purpose. Today I did. I needed some direction. I needed guidance. Above all, I needed comfort. And so, as I approached my special spot, I asked for it. 


I had barely entered the area when in front of me, a large bird flew across the path. It was cold, miserable, and we had not encountered a single living creature on the hike except for the trees that had no choice but to stand strong. The bird's appearance was in itself very unique. But where it's flight directed my gaze stood the miracle. 


On the edge of the woods, I saw the tree. It's branches were heavy with snow. It looked as if it might collapse from the weight. All around the tree it was grey, and snowy, and yet the most beautiful scene one could imagine. What really captured my attention though, was what I saw at the top of this tree. I saw the peace sign that people make with their fingers. This was the same sign that people were making at the concert Alicia and I attended the other night. So, it was fresh in my mind. It was peace. I was being told that there is peace. And everything that we are going through right now is just static. The snow. The wind. The cold. The cancer. The chemo. In the end, there is peace. Take comfort.


Below is a picture of the miracle that was offered to me this morning. I hope it gives you some comfort.



No comments:

Post a Comment