Friday, March 23, 2012

I'm breaking a promise. I'm afraid that I cannot post about the new FROGs tonight. I forgot to download the pictures and gave the camera back to Mom! But, I do have something to share. This one is dedicated to all of you teachers out there...

Today I had an enlightening conversation with one of Mom's former students. The young man's name is Eric and he runs my son's after-school program. Yesterday, Eric saw Mom in the hall at school. She was there to help set up for the book fair. Eric told me that he couldn't believe all of the memories sparked by that simple encounter. He told me about the games they would play in class, and the videos that they made. He said that he learned so much from her class because she made it fun. He also told me that when he first found out that he had Mom for a teacher, the kids told him, "She is a great teacher. But, whatever you do, don't make her mad." Unfortunately, the day came when the class made her mad. Eric didn't have to say more. I knew.

"Worksheets, huh?" I said with a smile.

"Yeah!" he said. "The entire period. And no tootsie rolls! You never realize how good you have it until it gets taken away."

Eric went on to tell me that my Mom taught him something else that he will never forget. She always told the students that when she said, "Good Morning" or asked "How are you?" that she really meant it. It was at that moment that Eric was able to move beyond being a fifteen-year-old boy who was completely consumed with his teenage life. He realized that teachers were people with thoughts, feelings, and lives of their own. And, he decided, that maybe he could put aside the cool factor and spend some time getting to know this person that was making a special effort to get to know him.

I have been thinking about this conversation all evening. This young man's life was forever changed for the better, simply by being my mom's student. How many others are there like him? How many lives did she impact? How many people will carry with them forever my mom's life lessons? And, how many of those people will share those same lessons with others?

How many people have you shared a life lesson with? You probably can't even come close to realizing your positive impact on this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment