Thursday, March 29, 2012

A couple of years ago for Mother's Day, I made my mom a notebook full of things that my mom taught me. Inside it I wrote some of the most profound things that she taught me like, "Never look for your own happiness inside of someone else." I also included some of the funny little things that I remember, like "When your cassette player starts eating more tapes than it plays, take it out in the garage and beat it with a hammer." (She didn't say that. She DID that!)

In the past two and a half months, my mom has taught me enough things to fill another notebook. Today I was reminded of one of the more recent pieces of wisdom that she offered me.

Tonight on Facebook, one of my friend's shared a note written by a neighbor. Scrolled on flowery St. Jude's Children's Hospital stationery the note said: "Your house color choice is hideous." It was signed, "Eyesore in the Neighborhood".

Naturally, my first reaction was shock. What kind of shallow, horrible person could do such a thing? Like the others who commented on the post, I felt total contempt for the person who did this. But, then I remembered what my mom said a few weeks ago. She told me, "If you don't like someone, pray for them. It is very hard to dislike someone that you are praying for."

Upon hearing my mom's words echoing in my head, I realized that the person who wrote that note must be very unhappy. I also came to the conclusion that this person probably doesn't (or won't) have anyone to turn to when things get tough. This thought brought me back to my mom. She is so fortunate to have so many wonderful people in her life. Everyday I am amazed when I see how her friends are walking beside her through this terrifying journey. She is so very lucky to have you.

Tonight as I celebrate the wealth of people who fill my mom's life with love, I send thoughts out to people who are less fortunate. May they fill the voids in their lives so that they can experience the joy of friendship, caring, and compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment