Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Today was a major milestone—Mom's last day of scheduled chemo! She still has two more days of radiation (Thursday and Tuesday). And then she has a break of three to four weeks. 

When I first learned of Mom's cancer diagnosis, I started reading everything I could. The first book I read talked a lot about what to do during recovery from treatment. At the time, the prospect of recovery seemed so distant. It didn't even seem real. Every time I read something in regards to recovery, I made a wish that someday Mom would be heading down that path.

Today I am so incredibly thankful that, in the very least, she is going to have a break from the chemo, radiation and doctor visits. I hope that her esophagus starts healing so that she will be able to swallow food without pain. I hope that her senses return to somewhat of a normal state so that every smell doesn't illicit a gag. I hope that she regains her natural spirit and energy so that she can do the things she enjoys most. The best day will be the one where she tells me she went to yoga, book club, and met Pat for coffee. I can't imagine anything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment