Monday, November 26, 2012

As I sat with Mom tonight after work in her living room I asked Mom how she is doing. This may seem odd, as I should know how she is doing because I see her every day. But, I figure that it is always good to straight to the source, in case there is anything that I am missing.

She said that she feels pretty good. Tired, at times, but good. I asked her about her feet. She picked up "the bad foot" and wriggled it all over. This was something that she was not able to do eight weeks ago due to the brain tumors and edema. Heck, she couldn't even walk. Now she is walking Lucy with my dad, participating in her aerobics class, and walking two miles every day in her living room with her walking video.

Food is still an issue in so far that it is just not appealing. But, Mom is maintaining her weight, which is an absolute incredible feat. In fact, Mom weighs the same as she did last January when she was first diagnosed with esophageal cancer!

Another positive is that Mom is now completely weaned off of the steroids. She has been down to 1/2 a pill every other day for about a week now and she is not experiencing a return in symptoms. As I have said before, I am not a doctor, but I don't think I need to be to know that this is a good sign.

One thing has been weighing heavily on our minds. What happens next? We know that Mom has scans scheduled toward the end of December. But, we really have no idea what the course of treatment will be after we get the results back. So, tomorrow I am going to call Helen (our go-to nurse) and ask her what we might expect in the coming weeks.

One thing is for certain. We know what we are experiencing right now. Life. And, we couldn't be more grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Kerry,
    We're doing the same thing here, enjoying each day as it comes. My mom had a lovely Thanksgiving. She ate a little bit of everything, which was a really big deal since her PEG has only been out for 2 weeks (and only because she couldn't stand it anymore). She went out to breakfast with my dad the other day and is finding the joy in each moment. We too are so thankful.

    I'm thinking of you all through this special holiday season.
    Maura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to hear that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving! We did, too. Like your mom, my mom ate a little bit of everything. Would you mind educating me a bit? What is a PEG? Is that like a stint? How is she doing now that it has been out for a few weeks? Please know that I am thinking of you and your mom, as well.

      Delete
  2. A PEG is a feeding tube--it goes right into the stomach. In July, my mother was hospitalized for 10 days for malnutrition in the midst of her chemo/radiation and they had to put in a PEG tube. That was her only source of nutrition until a few weeks ago. I fed her through that tube every day. But it got her through. She absolutely hated it. Now that it's gone, she feels more "normal." The scary part for me though is now I have no back up for feeding her. It's all on her for her oral intake. But she's feeling really well these days. Food has never been a big part of her life so it's been a little tricky. She never ate much before the cancer.

    Anyway, that's where things are with us. Day by day!

    Be well. Sending laughter your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about what PEG could stand for at about 4:00 this morning. You know how it is, you wake up, can't sleep, and your mind just starts ticking. I realized then that a PEG is probably an eating tube. That must have been a horrible ordeal for both of you. And, I can understand why it is a bit scary now that she doesn't have that back up. My mom would probably have been in the same boat had she not lived on nutrition shakes during her first course of treatment. Her esophagus was raw and she could not eat solid food. I am truly amazed by something you said, though. You said that your mom was never interested in food. My mom is EXACTLY THE SAME WAY! She has always been that way. Sometimes I think what my mom detests most about this cancer is that she is forced to eat. Maybe our mothers should talk. They sound like two peas in a pod!

    ReplyDelete