Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mom continues to be feeling pretty well. She has been completely off the steroids for a little over two weeks and she is not experiencing any new or returning symptoms. Once in a while she feels a slight pain in her head. But, considering that she underwent full brain radiation, that is not surprising. Lack of appetite and a tendency to tire more easily remain part of her daily experience. Nevertheless, she is maintaining her weight and has enough stamina to enjoy her many activities including lunch dates with friends, going to church, shopping, movies, and even yoga and aerobics.

Now that we are into December, we are counting down the days to her next set of tests. On December 18th they will be running a CT scan on her chest and abdominal region and an MRI to determine how the tumors in the brain have responded to the radiation. On December 20th we meet with her oncologist and radiologist to discuss the results of the tests and next steps.

Many people tell me that they are very inspired by my positive attitude. But, I have to admit, as the 20th draws nearer, my anxiety levels are rising. Although my daily experience tells me that Mom's condition has improved dramatically in the past two months, part of me is afraid. We have finally settled into our "new normal" around here. We are enjoying our lives and want to keep this momentum going. In fact, I decided the other day that I would be content in this state of waiting for next fifteen years. I suppose this is what everyone who lives with cancer wishes could happen.

I know that this probably goes without saying, but I ask all of you, as we move closer into this holiday season and closer to December 20th, please keep my mom in your prayers. I would also appreciate a prayer for my family to give us strength so that we can be everything that Mom needs, now and always.

Below is a recent picture that Alicia took of Mom at Barnes and Noble. Doesn't she look wonderful!!




No comments:

Post a Comment