Sunday, May 13, 2012

Today was Mother's Day.
 
Conrad, myself, and the dogs went to visit Mom and Dad this morning. When we arrived, Mom had returned from church and was about to begin one of the most dreaded deeds of her day -- drinking a shake. She has been consuming three shakes a day because that is best way for her to be getting her calories and nutrition right now. Unfortunately, it is very painful to swallow. And, she is so sick of shakes! But, she is starting to introduce some soft foods back into her diet. Watermelon and scrambled eggs were on the menu this past weekend.

After her shake, we took the dogs for a walk and Conrad rode his bike. The weather in Wisconsin today is absolutely gorgeous. You could not ask for better. Sunny. 70. Blue and green. Beautiful.

When we returned from our walk, Mom and I sat on the couch and looked at a couple of her Mother's Day presents from years past. One year I had made a book that I called "The Things My Mom Taught Me." It was fun to read the entries and it made me think that I need to add to that book. In the past three months, Mom has taught me so many more things! We also looked through a book of photographs that Eliana (Mom's youngest granddaughter) had given Mom. The book shows many of the wonderful together moments that Eli and MiMi have shared.

After we left, Mom said that she spent the afternoon relaxing on the deck. Kevin came out and sat with her for a while. Mom and Kevin always have interesting conversations. The birds were very busy at the many feeders that my parents have put out for them. And, Mom said that she could hear Dad listening to the baseball game below.

Although I didn't ask, I am sure that Mom had plans this evening to Skype with Craig, Madeline, and Eliana. It is a Sunday evening tradition.

Happy Mother's Day to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment