Monday, June 25, 2012

I haven't posted in the past few days because I do not have a smart phone or lap top that would have given me Internet access over our mini-vacation weekend. I am sure I could have used my brother's, but being chained to a computer all week at work I always enjoy the break from technology.

After hearing (and sufficiently spreading) the good news, Mom, Dad, Conrad and I headed up north to meet Craig, Madeline, and Eliana. Although the weather was a bit dreary and our time limited, we had a wonderful weekend together. I can't tell you how many times I just looked at my mom and thought, "She is here. She is at the cabin. How lucky we are!"

We did much of the usual stuff. Paddle-boating. Kayaking. Hiking. Swimming. Creature catching. Mom took things pretty easy, as she should have. She continues to have the horrible coughing fits. But, they do seem to be getting farther apart. And, she was able to eat more solid food. In fact, Saturday night she had her first hamburger in probably two months!

The best parts about the weekend were the little things.

Mom forgot her belt at home. When she got dressed Friday morning her pants dropped to her knees. So, Dad made her a belt out of a piece of rope. Mom and I both laughed at her new style with her roped pants and her stubbly head. But, she couldn't have looked more beautiful to me.

Now five-years-old, Eliana decided that she wanted to sleep in the loft with me and Conrad. Craig and Madeline were hesitant because they thought she might get scared in the middle of the night. But, Conrad reassured everyone that he would take care of her. I awoke that night to hear Eliana "crying". I shot up like a flash and asked her what was wrong. She laughed at me and said, "Silly, Kerry. I'm not crying. I'm laughing!" And she proceeded to tell me about her funny dream the involved her beagle Buster walking on the ceiling.

Determined as always, Craig and Dad set up the new trampoline in the rain. After the guys finally got it assembled, we pulled out lawn chairs and sat around watching the kids bounce. Now that is entertainment!

Madeline has been doing a great job with her new Weight Watcher's program. She really doesn't need it because she looks great. Nevertheless, she seems to be enjoying counting food points and awarding herself points for exercise. It was just one more quirky thing to add the mix of our family weekend.

Today, Alicia met Dad for breakfast. Dad told Alicia that I drove on the way home going 80 miles an hour the whole way and cussing at anyone that got in my way. I called him up to discuss his unique perspective on the situation. He said, "Hey, I'm not complaining. You got us home quickly!"




No comments:

Post a Comment