Saturday, March 9, 2013

It is Saturday morning at 10:00. As I write this, I am listening to the gentle breathing of my beautiful mother as she sleeps. In my entire life, I have never known my mom to sleep past 6:00. I wonder if she will scold me when she wakes up for letting her sleep so late, especially when her brother and family is in town from California for a visit.

I am now staying at my parents house. I sleep on the couch only about 10 feet away from Mom's hospital bed so that I can tend to her nightly needs. She doesn't need much during the night. Just someone to help her sit up, get a drink of water, and give her some medicine for her coughing which tends to worsen at night. My dad worries that I am overdoing it — that I need to be home with my husband and children. But, I know that I need to be here. Moreover, I want to be here. Being with my mom and dad right now brings me joy. This is the way it is supposed to be.

Yesterday morning, after I left for work, Mom had a series of 4 to 5 very short seizures. It was very frightening for my dad and brother. When I learned of the seizures, I immediately called Mom's hospice nurse and headed home to be with her. She was sleeping, very deeply in her easy chair when I arrived.

The nurse was there within the hour. As soon as mom heard Heather, Mom awoke. Heather checked mom's vitals, called the doctor for a prescription that we can administer during a seizure, and explained what we should do if and when another seizure occurs. The most important thing is to keep her from hurting herself. If she is in her wheelchair, we need to keep her from falling out. If we are transporting her from her wheelchair to her easy chair, we need to lie her down on the floor and move any objects that she could thrash into. Heather said that we could start experiencing more seizures. Or, she may never have another one. There is nothing we can do to prevent it. We just need to know what to do if one occurs.

Mom tend to wax and wane from being very tired and sleeping to being very alert and social. Yesterday evening, mom was wide awake when my good friends Renee and Thom brought us a homemade meal that we can share with our family guests this weekend. Mom had never met Renee and Thom before, and I am so grateful that this meeting occurred. Renee is a very special person in my life and it meant the world to me to bring her and my mom together. Finally, Renee was able to meet the person who made me everything that I am today. The person who I would do anything for to keep her by my side. In turn, Mom met this beautiful friend of mine that knows my heart like her own. The friend who will be by my side for many years after my Mom has moved on.

Oops, Mom is stirring! I had better get to her side. I know she is going to want to get dressed and ready for her visit with her brother and family.




No comments:

Post a Comment