Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It has been weeks since I have written. For that, I am sorry. I made a commitment to keeping you all posted on Mom's health. However, my commitment to her is the most important thing in my life right now. I am sure you understand.

On February 14, 2013, Mom's oncologist told us that he is no longer able to treat her. Her platelet counts were simply too low to even consider chemotherapy. A platelet transfusion was not an option, as it may cause internal bleeding. On February 18, Mom received her last radiation treatment. That week we started home Hospice care.

As expected, her health continues to decline. However, for the most part, she is comfortable and not in any physical pain. Her mobility is severely compromised and her energy lessens with each passing day. One thing that remains intact is her beautiful spirit.

Mom is struggling with her inability to keep up with the many, many wonderful people who continue to support her with loving visits, phone calls, cards, letters, and gifts. She simply does not have the strength or the energy to reach out the way her heart wants to. Yet, she continues to cherish every loving gesture and refers to all of you as "miracles".

If you are unsuccessful in reaching Mom by phone, email, or otherwise and you would like to talk with her or visit, please feel free to call me. More than anything, I want these days to be filled with love and peace. 262-945-4872

I will try to write more often. Thank you all for your devotion.

2 comments:

  1. Kerry,
    I'm holding you all close in my thoughts. Sending peace and comfort.
    Maura

    ReplyDelete