Sunday, February 10, 2013

It has been a difficult week. With Mom's mobility hardships, once simple activities like putting on socks or moving a cup of coffee from the counter to the table are challenges. Add a daily trip to Milwaukee for radiation treatments to the mix and you can begin to imagine how exhausting this week has been. And yet, Mom continues to push ahead. Her spirit and determination are nothing short of pure inspiration. I only wish that I could take her place for even a day.

As hard as this week has been, I am happy to report that Saturday was an excellent day.

Mom, Charlie and Conrad set out on an adventure. Mom had been asking Charlie to take her to the gaming store. When I say "gaming store" I am referring to one of those cracks in the sidewalk where Dungeons and Dragons basement dwellers socialize. No, Mom has not taken up a new hobby. But, as always, she shows her love by taking interest in the hobbies of her loved ones. And, gaming is my husband's passion. After perusing the shelves of comic books, dice, and warrior figures, the threesome met me at the Super China House Buffet. This too was another first for Mom. She was determined to spend the afternoon "Charlie style" and we had a great time trying new foods and just being together.

That evening, Mom, Conrad and I watched a two-hour special episode of Little House on the Prairie. It was the show where Mary, whose greatest dream was to become a teacher, loses her sight. At first I thought  the story might be too depressing. But, it ended on a positive note with Mary fulfilling her lifelong dream by becoming a teacher at a school for the blind. We had a wonderful time, snuggled in blankets in front of the T.V. and eating a late dinner of fish sticks and pizza pockets.

Tomorrow, Mom begins her second week (and last week in this cycle) of radiation. As I fall asleep tonight I will be asking God and my deceased grandmother for continued strength for us all. But, especially for my mom. We have many more adventures to share.

2 comments:

  1. MiMi continues to be in my thoughts and prayers as she goes through these difficult weeks. May her strengh return. Last night my husband and I accidently found the movie "Bucket List" on TV. It had many profound messages. Mimi's bucket list is still long and incomplete. She is an inspiration to me and thank you for putting her story, and yours, into words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your continued prayers and support, Gloria. You have become a special source of comfort to my mom. She enjoys revisiting the days of her youth and feels so incredibly blessed that you have found each other -- again.

      Delete