Monday, February 4, 2013

As I write this, Mom and Dad are headed up to Froedtert for Mom's first treatment in this next cycle of brain radiation. My parents will travel more than two hours every day for the next two weeks. I wish Mom could just stay home, read her books, organize her treasures, go to coffee with her friends, and see her grandchildren off the school bus. I wish Dad could just stay home, putz on his computer, walk Luci, and go to breakfast with his buddy. But, I am so very grateful that the doctors are actively treating the tumors. And, I know that Mom is, too.

We had a wonderful weekend. For that I am also grateful. On Saturday Mom, Charlie, Conrad, and I went to the Civil War museum and to lunch at Culvers. Sunday, Mom and I went to church, out for breakfast, and then headed to her house to put her feet up.

Unfortunately, Mom's feet have gotten painfully swollen. When I came to pick her up on Sunday, she wasn't able to get her shoes on and her socks were biting into her skin. We managed with some low cut socks and moccasins. That afternoon and evening she put her feet up and I went shopping for some comfortable socks. This morning before work, I stopped by to help her with her feet and they were looking much better. She was going to call her doctor today to report this problem. Perhaps it is time to wean her off of the steroids. 

Tonight my heart is a little heavy. I wish Mom didn't have an evening appointment. Those are especially difficult on her. I am hoping that the rest of these treatments are going to be scheduled earlier in the day. I just want things to be a little easier for both Mom and Dad.

I am going to post Mom's treatment schedule when I receive it. Please feel free to give Mom a call, send her a card, or stop by for a visit. She would never ask, but I know that your simple, loving gestures make a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment