Monday, February 18, 2013

I apologize for not posting as regular as I know many of you would like. Things have become very difficult, as Mom is not able to walk. I am hoping that we can all get some respite now that her radiation cycle is complete. The daily trips to Milwaukee are especially draining.

The biggest obstacle of the week has been getting Mom down the garage stairs to the van. Without the use of her legs, stairs are absolutely terrifying for Mom. On Sunday, my Uncle Roger, Cousin Brian, Aunt Karen and their granddaughter Cameryn made an early trip to Kenosha to help my dad build a ramp. By the time I arrived at my parents house around 1:00, the ramp was complete and the family was heading to lunch. I cannot even describe how grateful we are to have such a loving extended family.

Today we met with a physical therapist who taught us the best way to transport Mom from her wheelchair to the car, a chair, or the potty. On our way home we stopped at a special store that sells all kinds of disability equipment and bought a disc that will allow us to turn Mom when she is in a standing position. It is like a "Lazy Susan". Mom calls it a "Lazy Mimi". But, Mom is not lazy at all. Her strength, determination and resilience are absolutely amazing. 

Every day Mom is blessed with an endless stream of cards, phone calls, visits, and prayers from her family and friends. Every night she tells me, with tears in her eyes, how lucky she is to have you. She is so very grateful for your love and support. We all are.




No comments:

Post a Comment